Thursday, May 04, 2006

Oh! Don't be so fickle!


I swear parents have some of the oddest habits. I grew up under the strictest rules for my movies. I wasn’t allowed to watch Aladdin until I was 13! (I'm not even gonna mention that fact that my brother was 8 when he watched it!!!!!!) Now days, I pretty much pick the movies I want to watch. However, there still are "family rules" that we go by whenever we watch a movie as a family. Well, these so called rules are actually more like guidelines. Here is an example of how weird and fickle my parents are. About six months ago my mom and brother rented Peter Pan, the newest, real-life version of it. But they turned it off because of, well; now that I think of it I forgot why they turned it off. I think it had to do with it being too evil or something. Yet, today as I sit in bed (yes, I am still sick) I can hear in the other room my parents and Lucas finishing up the second disk of season 1 of Pimp My Ride. Is there something wrong with that!?!? However, you don’t hear my complaining. Could you ever hear me saying “Mom, Dad, your movie ‘rules’ are pathetic and fickle. You need to be more strict.” I DON’T THINK SO! Anyway, so as I enjoy the perks of having ‘guidelines’ on the movies we watch, I have to wonder… are all parents as fickle as mine?

11 comments:

Shannon said...

Let us not even mention the Miss Congeniality. "Fickle" does not even begin to describe that fiasco.

Kelly said...

No, yes, no, yes, no, WE DON'T CARE ANYMORE!

That's it in a nutshell.

And I agree. I think all the oldest siblings should write a book. We could get some really good ammo on parents in general if we collaborate. Let's not even begin to talk about the differences in punishments.

LeAnne said...

yes, and as you grow up, the parents only get stranger... wait till you hit 34 - your parents will be nothing like they are now... And it's not even the fact that your adult - they just keep getting weirder and weirder.

It is also an oddity being the oldest child as you watch your younger siblings get away with so much more than you do. It certainly has it's advantages at times, but my younger brother and sister, sheesh... Oh well, at least I should inherit everything - I'll get them back then :)

Larissa said...

This is from the mother that Larissa is creaming in her post. A comment from all parents to all you poor pathetic oldest children out there! Be thankful for some fickleness!! If we kept to being as strict for Lucas, it would mean that poor Larissa would only be watching "Mulan" or "Airbud" everytime we have a family movie night. Larissa should be kissing our feet, slobbering in her utter gratefulness to our loosening the restrictions. Don't you agree? Plus, we are old now. Old and getting more tired everyday. All we want is peace not justice or fairness, just peace and quiet. All you oldest children need to understand that. It is much easier to just buy the new SUV then listen to the whining of your younger children you had in your old age. Think of how much more character all you first and second-borns have in comparison to your younger, brattier siblings. You only get better rewards in heaven. Have eternal thinking. I think the post should be one of pure gratitude not cynicism. "The Fickle Mother" Tammie

Elizabeth said...

What a great discussion here in the comments. :-) Tammie's comment ("You only get better rewards in heaven. Have eternal thinking.") made me laugh outloud.

As for me, I'm the child stuck in the middle. And it's no picnic there either. :-) And I was never allowed to watch the Smurfs or MTV.

And, oh yes, Pimp my Ride rocks.

Kait said...

Haha! I love Pimp my ride! Your parents crack me up.

john-bob said...

I'd rather not say anything that might incite bitter resentfulness which never does and never did and never will do any good for anybody.

Janelle said...

This has had to have been the most amusing string of comments I've ever read on anyone's blog ever.

If I could add this to some sort of highlight of memories, it'd be on the 6ft golden pedastal of Best Comment/s Ever.

Becky said...

You have seasonof Pimp My Ride? COOL! I might have to borrow tha some time.

~Becky

Jana said...

Ok fine, I'll give in and contribute! Did any of you ever see the "Rats of NIMH" on video? Well, I remember as a small child loving that movie. Seriously, it was like one of my favorites and I watched it all the time. One day, my parents randomly decided that I was no longer alowed to watch it! The video was taken, never to be seen again. What the heck?? I mean, I was in tears! Devastated! You can't imagine the pain this caused me. I clearly never forgot this injustice.

Well, when I was with my family over Christmas break, I was flipping through their DVDs, and lo and behold "The Rats of NIMH" is staring me in the face. I was outraged!! My mother and I had a brief confrontation. I mean, I hadn't seen the movie since it was taken away.

I was mildly placated when I received a package at school with this particular DVD enclosed. It's totally irrelevant that I have yet to watch it. It's the principle of the matter. I am still kind of bitter about it though.

Jana said...

ok, my mistake was pointed out to me, the movie is actually called "The Secret of NIMH." whatever...