Thursday, August 03, 2006

What hill?

It is amazing how someone’s life could change so much in a short amount of time. Two months ago I was enjoying the green mountains, walking street and deep friendships. Yet, today as I write this I am in a place very unfamiliar to me, surrounded by people I know only on a “small talk basis” (with of course the exception of the Eslers). However, none of this has really sunk in yet. I still think that I’m just visiting Florida and then will head back home to Bosnia. Although this is not true and I am just prolonging the shock of realization, we will all take benefit of my disbelief, as I will tell you what has gone on over the past month.

As you know from my previous entry (from which I got an amazing amount of uplifting and encouraging comments, which I thank all of you for) we, as a family, went on a dream trip through the amazing continent of Europe. We went to so many places that I can’t even remember all the places we went in order. Literally we went in a huge circle starting the journey in Vienna and ending it in Vienna. I have drawn you all a little map to give you a ‘visual’.


You can see the huge circle we made as we went through eight different counties. However, my favorite city was Paris! I loved it! All the cafes with one row of two-seater tables lined the sidewalks, the beautiful buildings, the food and, of course, the looong row of amazingly cute guys. How much better could it get? I wished though that I had someone around my age to go around the city with, someone who would like to look in the shops, etc. Oh well, I still had an amazing time and I will definitely be going back hopefully next time with some girlfriends (start saving up, it will be worth it!). I also LOVED Holland. (It probably helps that Rod, Jo, and Lisa were there to make it all even better and definitely funnier.) All the houses were so quaint, and clean. The open market was great too! Yes, I did love Italy too, Venice being my favorite city in Italia. We were in Florence, Rome, Venice, and took a day trip out to Pompeii. After four weeks of traveling we returned to Vienna, (stopping and seeing my grandparents first) and went site seeing with Aunt Jaki and Uncle Jim. But all good things must come to an end, teary eyed I took my last breath of European air and stepped into the first of many airports.

After arriving late (midnight) Saturday night we were picked up by Uncle Rob and Mr. Esler who took us to our 700sq. ft. mobile home. We didn’t waste any time and began to register for school, look for a car, find our way around the very spread out city, and shop for essentials such as food and shampoo.

Here I sit, a week and four days after we landed. I am completely register for my college classes (I am taking US government, math, Speech, French, and English), I also have a interview tomorrow for a job here at the Pioneers office, I have attended church, college group, and youth group, and have meet far to many people to remember their names. Oh and I also attended a 5-day long Connection ‘conference’ with a whole bunch of other MKs that just got off the field. (Which the picture below is from)



In all I have been extremely busy. But I think the busyness is a good way for me to get my mind off of what is happening. As much as I hate to say it, it really hasn’t been that bad here. The people have been amazing! So friendly, so encouraging, so inviting. And I can’t really complain about the heat either, I mean the only time we really feel it is when we step outside to walk to another building. Also, I haven’t gotten bit by an alligator yet, another positive. However, I think one of the BEST things that has happened to me is getting a cell phone. I have been on the phone with Kelly and Shannon constantly! It is great! Just today I think I have called them 6 times (with different questions and such). But there as been a couple times when I’ve been in a store (Walmart) and just walked around talking to them for like an hour. Kelly and Shannon, you guys are awesome!

If you want my cell phone number just email me and I would be happy to look it up and hand it out (no, I don’t have it memorized yet). Also, another thing we don’t have email in our mali mobile home so I have to check it at the office, not really a big deal, but it does mean that I can’t check my email as much as I would like to.

Another exciting event coming up is the MK re-entry camp. I was originally going to fly to Columbia, SC which is right by the camp, however tickets were 400 bucks! Therefore I am going to be flying up to Washington DC where the Pedronis will pick me up. Then we well all drive down (with Kait too!) to the camp, seven hours away. We are going to talk and talk and talk. I’m very excited. The camp itself is 9 days, 8 nights (yes it is long) but I am really looking forward to it and hope that it will be really good for me and that God would work in my heart (you can pray for that for me).

I have to go, I have been online for three hours figuring out my course schedule and writing this very, very long update. I hope you enjoyed it, thank you for being my faithful readers. I don’t even need to ask for your prayers because I know that you already pray faithfully for me. I am so blessed to have friends like you.

Love you all lots,
look forward for some more updates from me, your square peg living in this very round world.

4 comments:

Kait said...

Larissa-Lou! I can't WAIT to see you! Haha that rhymed! ~Katalina

LeAnne said...

Hey Larissa...

Let me know if you want me to send you some fun stuff to do in Orlando - It's a fun place to live... I'll be praying for you... leanne

Janelle said...

Long updates are fine by me. ♥
Missing you.

john-bob said...

Yeah, ditto with all the above, its really good n' refreshing to get a new update from you again. It all sounds really interesting, if not a bit exhausting, but we'll be (and are) praying for you.