Anyway, I just wanted to share with you a crazy, ridiculous story...
and yes, it is true... let us call it "The phone call that changed my
life" (no guys, don't get too excited I didn't win the
lotto...)..............................
Once upon a time....last Friday that is.... there was a student. This
student's name was Larissa. Larissa was very excited. She loved her
college. Loved her room. And loved her roommate. Things were as you
say, "picture perfect". As she looked forward into her first semester
she saw absolutely no bumps. (Well, okay maybe a few, but they were
only little ones). Little did she know that her life would be changing
with one, simple, innocent phone call........
After eating breakfast that morning, I went to my room to play on my
wonderful new computer. My phone started to ring and I saw that it was
my mom. My mom started out by saying that she had just come from her
doctors appointment and she had some very interesting news for me. My
blood-work had come back...... I didn't have asthma. Naturally I was
extremely confused. As you all know I have had a ton of trouble
breathing. I was extremely confused. Mom continued. "Larissa you
actually have some pretty severe food allergies and the doctor said
after seeing all of your allergies to never walk around without an
Epi-Pen with you. My not being able to breathe was not a result of
asthma, but as a result of going into mild anaphylactic shock....
I was in stunned. Bracing myself for the worst I asked, "Mom what am I
allergic to?" "Larissa," she said, "get out a list.............. You
are allergic to wheat, nuts, soy, corn, shrimp, clams, and chocolate."
(and then she went on to list many different kinds of grass and trees)
I was in total shock. All I could think is that "I can never eat
anything good for the rest of my life." I totally started crying. I
kept thinking, "I can never have bagels, tortillas, cookies, cake,
brownies, shrimp, CHOCOLATE, nuts, and bread ever, ever again."
Now hopefully you all are feeling totally sorry for me, because at
this point I was really feeling sorry for myself. I was in shock and I
didn't really know what to do. But then, it hit me.............. the
whole picture. And all the sudden I was filled with praise for God for
doing such an amazing thing in my life............
My roommate, Anna Davy has almost the exact same allergies. She knows
what to eat, and what not to eat. She even brought herself a whole
bunch of food that she could eat, like rice cakes, rice-pasta, 100%
fruit jam, olive oil, and snacks that were safe for us.
Finally, a lot of pieces fit together. God had told me to go to FSU a
lot later then everybody else because He knew that I never would have
roomed with Anna if I had known sooner. He also planned it so that
Anna and I lived in Reynolds Hall because it is the closest to the
cafeteria. Not only did that happen, but Friday morning (the day I got
the phone call) I had gone down to eat breakfast with Anna, but before
I could eat I went with her and her mother to talk to the managers of
the cafe about Anna's allergies. Now, I was starving and the bagels on
the counter were calling my name, but I couldn't leave because it
would have been very rude. So there I stood listening to everything
the cooks were going to do for Anna because of her allergies. I kept
thinking "This is useless information for me, why do I need to be
here, I am so hungry." Little did I know that God had me there
listening to all of that for a purpose. Only hours later was I told of
my own allergies. I was supposed to be there listening to everything,
because it all applied to me!
Guys, the managers and cooks are amazing! They are going to buy us
our own toaster and deep fryer because of cross-contamination issues.
For instance we can not toast a piece of gluten-free bread in a normal
toaster because the crumbs from normal bread gets on our bread and
we'd be eating gluten. Or we can only have certain oils because a lot
of them have soy in them. So then when we have our own fryer they will
only use a certain oil and ONLY fry things like french fries and
absolutely NO breaded things (because once again there would be
cross-contamination if they did).
Crazy, huh? Now my eatings habits are such that I have to constantly
ask anytime I want to eat anything. Ask to look at the box or
container to see what the ingredients are. Here are a few things that
I never would have guessed I couldn't have.
Salad dressings- have soy in them,
Candy- corn syrup,
Ketchup-corn syrup,
Orbit gum- soy,
some hot dogs-corn syrup and soy,
soups- soy or corn.
It is amazing how much soy is in everything. Seriously! It is
ridiculous. But God is so good, He has provided lots of vegetables to
eat for lunch and dinner (salad every day) and fruit for breakfast.
Are you in shock yet? I know how you feel. But don't feel sorry for me
guys, God is teaching me a lot. And through this amazing story Anna
and I are able to share about God to a lot of different people. It is
a really amazing testimony. We found out through the managers that
there are only three of us who have these allergies on a campus that
has over 40,000 students. And two of us are rooming together. This is
far to amazing to be a "coincidence" and as such we are able to share
about how there is a God and He has everything in control. What a
privilege it is to have God using me to share my testimony to
unbelievers!
I know this was a long story, but I hope you all enjoyed it and were
encouraged. I want to say goodbye by leaving you with two things that
are an encouragement to me. First of all a song that Casting Crowns
sings: Praise You In This Storm. And secondly a verse that has given
me such peace not only through this, but any other trials I have
experienced in my life.
Pray for me. Pray that I would be thankful for the food I CAN eat, and
also thankful for these allergies that through them I might further
the kingdom of God.
I love you all and miss you.
Larissa
Praise You in This Storm
words by Mark Hall/music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms
I was sure by now,God, that You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many
kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops
perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be
mature and complete, not lacking anything.
6 comments:
wow...that's intense. God really was at work here. i am sorry, but i'm so amazed at how it all worked out.
i'm back in your time zone now. call me.
Thats crazy stuff, but totally god awesome!
Your attitude is awesome!
whoa! That is quite the life-style change:) Praise God for bringing Anne into your life as your roommate.
Wow! Did you have these issues before?
Our Abba is so lovingly thoughtful... :)
EMAIL ME, LARISSA!!! :D :D :D
Good hearing from ya!
Hey, you still okay? It's been a long time since you posted anything!!!
Love, Heike
Post a Comment