I love lists. Love them. I’m the girl who will make a to-do list for the day, and if I accidentally did something in addition to what was on the list, I must add it, simply to have the gratification of checking it off again. Almost every night before I go to bed, I give myself 5 minutes to make a to-do list for the next day. When I empty my mind of all my plans for the next day, it allows me to go to sleep much quicker.
Well, it’s that time of year to make my big-daddy, and grandest list of them all… my resolutions list…
For most of the years of throughout high school I commonly included losing weight, getting in shape, etc, on my list of “to-do’s” for the year…. Since I’ve grown up a bit I have stopped putting it on my list. Why? Don’t I have those same goals? Of course I do. However, I was just tired of not being able to cross it off the list- so I’m just going to start leaving it off… perhaps if some miracle happens and I end up 15lbs lighter and able to run a marathon, I will simply add it to my list just so I can cross it off… until then though… I’ve moved on to bigger and better things...
One resolution that keeps showing up on my annual list though is ‘become an avid reader.’ Now this one started in high school... I looked around at the most intelligent people around me and tried to figure out what they had in common… sure enough all of them were readers. Thus, I decided I will become one as well. It has been a slow process- but 5 years later I would like to say that I now am what you consider a “reader”. Starting with classics I have slowly developed the discipline to read, and enjoy it. This year I have changed it up a bit and placed certain requirements on what I read. Here’s what it includes:
-Read at least 35 books in total
-5 biographies
-2 history books (this is going to be the hardest to make myself do)
-2 from NY Times Best seller list
-11 classics (including, the Art of War, Don Quioxe, Moby Dick, Robinson Crusoe, Lord of the Flies, The Great Gasby, 1984, Sherlock Holmes, & Catch-22)
(If you have any suggestions of books I need to read this year, let me know!)
In addition to the above goal I have the following:
2. Become a better long-distance communicator
3. Be involved in ministry, and put my roots down in my church
4. Buy a car with cash
5. Get my BSN online
6. Travel outside the country
Well, I leave you to finish my first book of this year, which not only knocks my goal down to 34 books, but this book also qualifies for the biography category as well… in the end though- it’s all about crossing things off a list…
5 comments:
My suggestion is "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. Although it is not a true "history" book, it is a great depiction of a historical period in the US. I am hoping to read it this year too!!!
Sunny has a bunch of the classics here at the house...when you come over, you'll have to check them out. She'll be a great source for you, as she reads a bunch!!!
I have two names for you for your classics: Alexandre Dumas & Robert Louis Stevenson - these are my absolute favorites. Mark Twain is pretty good too if you haven't read him. Moby Dick is a LONG book, so don't feel like you need to read all the minute descriptions throughout the book. Never was able to finish reading Don Quixote.
Currently reading J.D.Robb In Death series. LOVE it. And Georgette Heyer is always a good choice.
So glad to know there is at least one other lovely soul out there in the world who loves crossing things off her list! I also add things I did after I do them and cross them off! ;D Thanks for sharing. Great goals. I, too, would love to someday be considered more of a "reader". I am such a slow reader due to eye issues I can't control, so if I get any book read through it's entirety, I feel quite thrilled!
Hugs,
Jada Smith
Haha, I LOVE it! I too make lists occasionally, but mostly for the sake of remembering, since I tend to be a scatter-brain and have frequent brain farts... the people at my work say I'm too young for this stuff to be happening, but hey. ;) Also, if you've not read Crazy Love, or the Hunger Games, READ THEM. You and I have also had the same epiphany! I am not a natural reader and have been developing the discipline. My resolution is not as structured as yours, because I wanted to make it as realistic/doable as possible... mine is to read and FINISH at least 1 book per month this year, and s far I'm right on target for Jan. :) I always start several books at a time, get overwhelmed, and don't finish most of them. Blegh. So yeah, good luck in your endeavors! And yay for lists!!!
Post a Comment