Tuesday, April 04, 2006

It is finished

Finally. Done! Do you every have something you have to do and you dread it day and night? For some of you it might be cleaning your room, or Chemistry homework. But for me it was my book review. It all started when I was back in the States. I knew that I had to read a book by an author that we had already read another book on. Since I liked The Scarlet Letter so much I decided to pick Hawthorne. I gave strict instructions to my mom to pick out the shortest Hawthorne book at the store. She then came back with The House of the Seven Gables which was not that short, by the way. So anyway I was somewhat excited to read another Hawthorne book, after all The Scarlet Letter is now on my favorite list. So I started reading. After the first chapter i was saying to myself, "Okay, Larissa it is going to get better." The second chapter, "you are just not into the good part yet." I said the same things up until the last chapter of the book. I read page after page, after page of prolonged, agonizing detail.

What is worse is that I had to write a book review on it. How could I write neutrally on a book that was so utterly boring? It is not just an old book report that I have to write either. My teacher (from Potter's School) has very strict rules about how I have to write, what I have to write about...etc... Anyway, less then an hour ago this huge burden that has been hanging over my head for the passed three weeks has been lifted. I am done. I just love the feeling of freedom. *deep breath in, and out*

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Who the heck said book reviews have to be neutral? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A review is never neutral. It gives its opinion and defends it with examples. If your teacher has your writing neutral book reviews then she's on crack.

Okay, I'm done ranting. And I was never a particular fan of Hawthorne.

Jana said...

kelly's right, book reviews aren't supposed to be neutral. but yeah...i know exactly what you mean about that feeling. that's how i'm going to feel between now and the week before finals week. i'm not dreading finals actually at all, just stuff between now and then...

Larissa said...

I aggree with you guys! They shouldn't be neutral! I wanted to be able to vent and give her an example of the horrible amount of detail. But she has a very specific way i have to write the review. No real room for opionions. blanky blanky blank