Dear Friends and Family;
Everyday my mom has read to me the e-mails and notes each of you have sent. Words cannot express how encouraging your prayers have been. There are hundreds of people that are praying for me around the world- some of which, don’t even know me, and yet they pray. What a testimony to the supportive body of Christ!
I know my Mom has been doing a great job keeping you up to date on what has been happening, but I wanted to share with you what has been going on in my heart throughout this whole process.
About a month ago I was at Campus Crusade’s fall getaway, during my devotions I was very convicted about how self-reliant I was. For the whole semester I seemed to have my ducks in a row. I was doing good in school, had a fantastic job, and was a leader in woman’s ministry. I was very busy, but I was thriving. It was then that I realized how little I relied on Christ. So I prayed and asked God something like this, “God, forgive me for relying so much on myself. Father I pray that you would do something drastic in my life that would force me to rely completely on You for strength. Honestly I am a little nervous asking You for something drastic, but God I want You to be the most important thing in my life, and so I will continue to pray that You would bring me on my knees before You.” Weeks past with no answer. Until now.
I’d like to say that I have not doubted God through this whole thing, and I’d like to say that I have not been scared because my faith is so strong. But that would not be true. When I found out I had Cataplexy all I could think about was all the things I wouldn’t be able to do. I was not going to be able to finish nursing school- who would hire someone that fell asleep all the time? I was not going to be able to drive- how could I drive if I might have an episode and crash? Was I going to be able to return to the mission field? Who would marry a girl that collapses all the time?
But then it came to me. A peace that surpasses understanding. There is no other explanation as to why I am so “okay” with what has been happening to me, then to have been given God’s incredible peace. There are so many times in my life when I have been uprooted or put through scary or painful circumstances- and each time I have clung to a specific verse. James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything.” So here it is. My trial. Cataplexy. Something that will affect the way I live for the rest of my life- and I am called to have pure joy for having it. Later on in the passage in verse twelve it says, “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” Please continue to pray for me to have joy in my circumstances, and also pray that I persevere under it.
I share this with you to hopefully encourage each of you in your prayers. The Father has heard each one of you and has blessed me because of it.
Here are some lessons that I have learned while being in the hospital:
The food COULD be worse.
Nurses = awesome- I can’t wait to become one!
3. Spending your birthday in the hospital is kinda like spending it in a spa- you are treated like a princess, no one lets you lift a finger, you get breakfast, lunch AND dinner in bed, everyone brings you flowers and presents when they visit, and it makes for an unforgettable birthday.
(on a more serious note...)
4. So many times I am so wrapped up in my ambitions, that I constantly pressure myself to just get through school so that I can get back on the mission field and do what God has called me to do. However, I have learned that “what God has called me to do” is not just a career or one specific calling, it is a daily changing task. Some days I believe that God specifically calls me to minister to a specific person, or to be extra devoted in school. And by trying to rush through days or months, I miss out on what God has called me to do that specific day.
Thank you again for all your support, love and prayers. Keep praying because our God is not limited by anything.
Lots of love,
Larissa
“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For out light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” 2 Cor 4:16-18
5 comments:
I love you and am awed by your neverending faith. You know my views, there is no need to go into them here. However, I respect you to such a high degree for sticking to your beliefs after life handed you a serious bowl of sour grapes.
You've made me think, Essa, and question. It's a good thing. I think you were sent to be my (best) friend for a reason, and i think that this is it.
I can't wait to see the road that life will take us in the future! Imagine all the fun-filled road trips and travels we could have together; learning and growing as people!
First step: becoming those awesome nurses! :)
xoxo
miss you!
This posting was a joy to read because it is so full of signs of life, examples of faith, and testimony of God's goodness. What you are growing through spiritually is exactly what God desires for all of his precious children. What God used to make help bring it on, Cataplexy, is just incidental. How you are responding is of great importance. But, in the end, what really matters is that these are all signs that you relate to God, and he to you, as loving Father and precious daughter.
Larissa,
You are beautiful. Thanks for posting this... for daring to pray those prayers, and for chasing after God, and for remaining in Him. Continuing to pray for you, friend.
Hey Larissa!
I just read your post--I had no idea.
Your response is amazing.
I love you and am praying for you. If you get the chance, I'd LOVE to get to talk sometime!
Heike
You are beautiful! Continuing to pray for you in this journey!
Te Amo! :)
Post a Comment