So this past weekend I was exposed to yet another potential career for myself. While nursing is my #1 pursuit right now these are all the others that I have stashed in my safe, just in case I need to use them one day: singer, painter, dancer, photographer, writer, organizer, decorator, and CEO. However, along with all my string of accomplishments and talents *cough, cough*, I have decided to add in all seriousness, “Wedding Coordinator” to the top of the list (second only to nurse).
About three months ago or so I received a call from my childhood friend Shannon who was getting married soon. She said, “Larissa, I wanted to ask you a favor- I need a wedding coordinator for the day of the wedding to make sure everything runs smoothly. The person needs to be bossy but nice and organized- and you were the first person who came to mind. What do you think?” What do you think I said? “I’d be Honored Shannon!! I am so glad you thought of me first!” (Please take note that there was no argument in whether or not I could be bossy enough...)
Now, about this time many of you are thinking, “What qualifications do you possess to think you could just step into this role and run the show?!” Therefore, in order to proceed I will list my qualifications for this position:
I am bossy
2. I am organized
3. I have been in A LOT of weddings
4. I am bossy- and ENJOY being so...
Moving on.
The rehearsal was my first taste of power. As I whirled around everyone organizing people, working on timing, who does what and stands where... I thrived. Weddings I think are more fun than any other events to be in charge of, mostly because it is a celebration and happy time. (Well, I guess that can depend on the bride- but for the record, Shannon you were a doll.)
Wedding day finally came. I stepped into my element. Just like an actress steps on stage and thinks, “Yes, this is it.” So also, I easily embraced the role, put my gears into 5th, and made sure everything was in place to have a kick-butt wedding. It went by almost flawlessly. Not to brag, by any means, but I was lucky enough to work with a wonderful crew of individuals from the catering company, to the venue to the DJ. Funny thing was, everyone thought I was a professional wedding coordinator/planner. While my parents sat at the dinner table with a group of strangers, one of the ladies started to tell them how usually the wedding coordinators were so snippy, and rude- but that the one Shannon hired was so nice- so much so that everyone just wanted to help her and do whatever she said just because she was so sweet. Naturally my parents burst out laughing- making sure they clarified that she was indeed talking about me- the very bossy, but not always so sweet Larissa.
In all, this was one of the most fun experiences I have had in a long time. While I readily collapsed upon arrival at the hotel- I could not help repeat over and over again, that indeed I had found my new calling.
Now why hadn’t I found this BEFORE I went through all the laborious pains of nursing school?!
All that aside, I have a few notes I have made for myself for the next time I get the privilege of being a wedding coordinator...
1. Wear more sensible shoes- 3 1/2 in heels are cute and all, but when you are running around (especially outside in gravel)- stilettos are not the wisest pick.
2. Know more about proper wedding tradition- for instance, which side is the brides/groom, which side a man stands on to escort the woman, etc... gotta work on my etiquette.
3. Have a better notebook put together- I had far too many loose papers flying around with important info on each of them
4. Wear clothing that has lots of pockets to be sure to have enough room to carry any necessary items (cell phones, pens, emergency safety pins, etc)
6 comments:
Well now I know who to hire for my wedding!! Don't worry you have plenty of time to prepare seeing as how I'm not even remotely close to being engaged :P
I knew it La... I told you that you were going to be a really great wedding coordinator! Too bad I'm already married otherwise I'd hire you. ;)
Love, Anna
Glad ya'll enjoyed this!! Tim- I would LOVE to be your wedding coordinator!! :-D
Anna- I would have loved to be yours- oh yeah, but I had the even bigger privilege of being your bridesmaid... XOXO
Laris, you were AMAZING!!!!!!!! Matt & I keep talking about how smooth our wedding went and it was ALL because of you!!! Having you there allowed me to completely relax and not worry about details at all! You are awesome and I'm so happy you were able to be there with me!
Awe Shannon!!! You are SO welcome!!! I am just so thankful that I got to be apart of it :-D I am SOO glad that you were so pleased about how the day went and that you got to relax hehe!!
You CAN do it all. Work 3 12 hours shifts on L & D. Every other weekend coordinate a wedding. On your off days - decorate people's houses and then dance in the evenings. Oh and once a month take a day and paint. No problem!!
Post a Comment